Updated research request forms and data security approval required beginning 4/24/23
Introduction to the Use of Medicare Data for Research
Minneapolis, MN (Online)
To receive notification when registration opens, please join our workshop mailing list.
Why You Should Attend this Workshop
You are answering a research question using Medicare administrative data, and you want to understand the underlying structure and how to interpret what you see.
You believe that Medicare administrative data may answer your research question, and you want to understand the strengths and limitations of the data.
Previous participants have found the workshop more useful after they have some experience with the data, although experience is not required for attendance.
Participants will have the opportunity to view the data layout at the workshop.
We no longer use statistical analysis software during the workshop; experience with specific software is not required. All attendees will be able to complete the exercises.
- Understand how the basic structure and content of the Medicare program: entitlement, enrollment, benefits and coverage, determines what is in the data.
- Learn how billing data are generated, processed by the CMS administrative data system, and turned into research files, and how this affects the quality of specific data elements.
- Become familiar with the various data files CMS/CCW provides and the potential uses of these files for research, especially the:
- Medicare Beneficiary Summary File (MBSF)
- MedPAR/Inpatient file
- Outpatient file
- Carrier file
- Be able to use Medicare enrollment information for defining study populations, identifying target populations, and calculating rates.
- Gain experience with key variables from the Master Beneficiary Summary File, MedPAR, Outpatient and Carrier files
- Interact with and learn from the experience of the faculty and other participants interested in Medicare data for research.