This video is one segment in a series of videos from ResDAC’s Introduction to using Medicare Fee-for-Service (FFS) Data for Research.
Knowledge of where the Medicare data originate and what Medicare data files are available to you for research purposes is needed for guidance in the creation of any study using the Medicare administrative data.
This presentation will review:
- claims as the source of utilization information
- entities are involved in the claims process
- the source of the data in the files
- the claims-based files available to researchers
- types of services found in each of the data files
This presentation will aid in decision making for which files would be needed for a research study and analytic decisions for creating algorithms to look for services.