The Medicaid and CHIP TAF (T-MSIS Analytic File) Pharmacy (RX) file includes records of filled prescriptions. Records include fee-for-service (FFS) claims, managed care encounters and supplemental payments for Medicaid, Medicaid-expansion CHIP and separate CHIP.
What does this file include? (variable highlights)
- National Drug Code (NDC)
- Days supply covered by the prescription
- Charges and Medicaid payments (FFS only)
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) for the billing provider
- Encounter data reporting may vary by state, year and eligibility group.
- Information on the drug name, dosage and format is not recorded in the TAF RX file. An external source of NDC data will be required if that information is needed.
- CMS continues to work with states to address data quality issues. In addition to preliminary and fully mature files, CMS may provide updated releases of the files for a given year. Please see this page on CMS fee information for TAF data pricing.
- For resources on Medicaid TAF data quality, click here.
- A bridge file will be provided to assist researchers that are conducting longitudinal analysis involving 2020 TAF research files along with earlier service years. For additional information, please see the CCW T-MSIS Analytic Files (TAF) User Guide posted on CCW’s User Documentation page.