The Medicaid and CHIP TAF (T-MSIS Analytic File) Other Services (OT) file contains records for a variety of Medicaid services, including physician services, outpatient hospital institutional utilization, lab/X-ray, clinic services, home health, hospice and premium payments. Records include fee-for-service (FFS) claims, managed care encounters and supplemental payments for Medicaid, Medicaid-expansion CHIP and separate CHIP.
What does this file include? (variable highlights)
- As appropriate for the type of service on the record:
- Diagnosis codes
- Procedure code
- Charges and payments
- Provider identifiers
- Encounter data reporting may vary by state, year and eligibility group.
- CMS continues to work with states to address data quality issues. In addition to preliminary and fully mature files, CMS may provide updated releases of the files for a given year. CMS has fee information for TAF data pricing.
- ResDAC provides resources on Medicaid TAF data quality.
- A bridge file will be provided to assist researchers that are conducting longitudinal analysis involving 2020 TAF research files along with earlier service years. For additional information, please see the CCW T-MSIS Analytic Files (TAF) User Guide posted on CCW’s User Documentation page.