The Medicaid and CHIP TAF (T-MSIS Analytic File) Long Term Care (LT) file contains records for institutional long term care provided by specific facilities identified by the Type of Service variable:
- Nursing Facility Services
- Mental Facility Services
- Independent (free-standing) Psychiatric Wings of Acute Care Hospitals
- Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) Services for Individuals With Intellectual Disabilities
The records in the LT TAF include fee-for-service (FFS) claims, managed care encounters and supplemental payments for Medicaid, Medicaid-expansion CHIP, and separate CHIP.
What does this file include? (variable highlights)
- Diagnosis codes
- Present on Admission indicator
- Admission date
- Charges and payments
- Provider identifier
- Patient discharge status or destination
- Counts of covered days
- Encounter data reporting may vary by state, year and eligibility group.
- Stays may be made up of multiple records.
- Long term care services provided to community-dwelling beneficiaries are found in the TAF OT file.
- CMS continues to work with states to address data quality issues. In addition to preliminary and fully mature files, CMS may provide updated releases of the files for a given year. Please see this page on CMS fee information for TAF data pricing.
- For resources on Medicaid TAF data quality, click here.
- A bridge file will be provided to assist researchers that are conducting longitudinal analysis involving 2020 TAF research files along with earlier service years. For additional information, please see the CCW T-MSIS Analytic Files (TAF) User Guide posted on CCW’s User Documentation page.