The Medicaid and CHIP TAF (T-MSIS Analytic File) Inpatient (IP) file contains records for enrollees who had an inpatient hospital stay. Records include fee-for-service (FFS) claims, managed care encounters and supplemental payments for Medicaid, Medicaid-expansion CHIP and separate CHIP.
What does this file include? (variable highlights)
- Records included based on discharge date within the file calendar year
- Active, non-voided, non-denied final action claims
- Diagnosis codes
- Present on Admission Indicator
- Procedure codes
- Procedure date
- Discharge status
- Charges and payments
- Provider identifier
- Available encounter data may vary by state, year and eligibility group.
- CMS continues to work with states to address data quality issues. In addition to preliminary and fully mature files, CMS may provide updated releases of the files for a given year. CMS has fee information for TAF data pricing.
- ResDAC provides resources on Medicaid TAF data quality.
- A bridge file will be provided to assist researchers that are conducting longitudinal analysis involving 2020 TAF research files along with earlier service years. For additional information, please see the CCW T-MSIS Analytic Files (TAF) User Guide posted on CCW’s User Documentation page.