The Standardized Patient Assessment Data Elements (SPADEs) file includes standardized data elements developed by CMS to meet the requirements of the Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation (IMPACT) Act of 2014. The IMPACT Act requires the reporting of standardized patient assessment data with regard to quality measures and SPADEs. In addition, the IMPACT Act requires assessment data to be standardized and interoperable to allow for exchange of the data among post-acute providers and other providers. The Act intends for standardized post-acute care data to improve Medicare beneficiary outcomes through shared-decision making, care coordination, and enhanced discharge planning. The data elements in the SPADEs data set address care in the following post-acute settings: Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities, Long-Term Care Hospitals, Skilled Nursing Facilities and Home Health Agencies.
This file includes (variable highlights):
- Special services, treatments, and interventions
- For example: ventilator use, dialysis, chemotherapy, central line placement, total parenteral nutrition, high risk drugs
- Medical conditions and co-morbidities
- Cognitive function
- Mental status including depression and dementia
- Ability to communicate
- This is a standalone file and cannot be linked to any other RIF data.