The National Death Index segment of the MESF includes cause of death information from death certificates provided through linkage with the National Death Index (NDI) cause of death information. Annual files are available for 1999-2013.
What does this file include? (variable highlights)
- NDI date of death
- ICD-10 description and code for cause of death
- Underlying conditions for cause of death
- CDC category code for cause of death
- Only beneficiaries with a date of death in the annual MAX PS file are included in the file. The date can be the MSIS date of death or the Medicare date of death reported in MAX for the dually eligible.
- Some states are not included in the later years. See specific availability below.
- This is a segment of the MESF file. Another segment, the Conditions Segment can also be requested.