The Medicare Inpatient (Encounter) file contains Medicare Advantage plan records for inpatient hospital stays.
This file includes (variable highlights):
- Admission, discharge dates
- Diagnosis (ICD diagnosis) codes
- Procedure (ICD procedure) codes
- Diagnostic related group (DRG) codes
- Patient discharge status code
- Organization NPI
- Part C/Medicare Advantage benefit package and contract number
- Revenue center codes, dates, unit counts
- No payment variables are available
Many Medicare Advantage Plans offer extra coverage in addition to services covered under traditional fee-for-service Medicare (e.g., vision, hearing, dental, and/or health and wellness programs). Encounter data may include records for some of these additional items and services provided under the plan.