The Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) collects patient-reported outcomes measures from beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans. The Medicare HOS program collects health status data for use in quality improvement activities, plan accountability documentation, and health improvement activities in a base survey and two year follow-up survey. The baseline sample size is 1,200.
HOS variables contain the following information in a baseline survey and two-year follow-up survey:
- Demographic information including primary language
- Disability status
- Physical and mental health status
- HEDIS Effectiveness of Care measures
- Health-related quality of life (HRQOL)
- CMS will provide additional file specifications to researchers with approved data requests.
- Information on the survey and data can be found on the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey website.