The Acute Hospital Care at Home (AHCAH) initiative, launched in November 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, allows Medicare-certified hospitals to treat patients with inpatient-level care at home. Data contained within the AHCAH data set was collected by CMS directly from individual hospitals on either a weekly or monthly basis depending on their participation tier, which is based on the level of experience the facility has with providing hospital at-home services.
The AHCAH dataset contains two files, a Hospital file and a Patient file, which are both provided for a research request (i.e., cannot be requested separately). The Patient file contains a record for each AHCAH admission for the patient, and includes other beneficiary-specific data such as the beneficiary’s program eligibility status (Medicare, Medicaid, Dual) and the state Medicaid identifier, if applicable. The file also contains the facility submission date for the data represented in the file record. The submission date represents the data submitted by the facility for the previous month.
Each file contains the monthly or weekly submitted data for each participating hospital for the time period from November 2020 through March 2023 (29 months). A second data release is planned for the future at a date to be determined.
What does this file include? (variable highlights)
- CCW Beneficiary Identifier
- Beneficiary Program Identifier (Medicare, Medicaid, Dual)
- Admission Date for In-Home Care Episode
- Beneficiary State Medicaid Identifier
- CMS Certifications Number (CCN), also known as the Facility Identifier
- Facility Waiver Participation Tier (based on the level of experience the facility has with providing hospital at-home services)
- Facility Waiver Submission Identifier
- Data Submission Date
- Facility Location Information
- AHCAH data may need to be requested in conjunction with Part A claims data to fully understand the information in the AHCAH dataset.
- Questions about the data should be directed to ResDAC at firstname.lastname@example.org.